I’m sharing a vegan recipe here but it is suitably delicious whatever your diet. It’s a gooey Mediterranean vegetable bake layered with tomato sauce and a smooth cashew cheese. If you are curious about why I am vegan myself see this post here.
Not only is this recipe delectable it only takes about 30 minutes and it is super nutritious. Gluten Free, cholesterol free, low carb, low sugar, high protein and high in B Vitamins! What’s not to like?!
To make the cashew cheese a magical product called nutritional yeast is needed. Nutritional yeast is available in health stores and despite its unappealing name it is delicious sprinkled on many foods offering a savory flavour. It is high in protein boasting 50% protein by weight and it provides a wide range of B vitamins including the vital vitamin B12 only found in animal products.
Now lets get on and cook up a storm …
- 2 Courgettes
- 1 Aubergine
- 1 Onion
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- Handful of Fresh Tomatoes
- Splash of Balsamic Vinegar
- Mixed Herbs
- 180g Cashew Nuts
- 4 Tbsp Nutrition Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Large Clove Garlic
- Slice the courgettes and aubergine into thin slices and drizzle with coconut oil (ideally, but any will do), sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme and place in the oven at 180 degrees.
- While the vegetables are cooking start on the tomato sauce. Chop one onion and fry in coconut oil with a sprinkle of salt until soft.
- When the onions are soft add the chopped tomatoes and fry the finely chopped garlic until brown
- Next add the tin of chopped tomatoes, pepper and herbs (I used parsley, sage and dried thyme) and leave to simmer for 5 minutes
- When the tomato sauce is cooked add a splash of balsamic vinegar to taste
- Now we start on the cashew cheese! Add all the cashews, the nutrition yeast, vinegar, lemon juice and a splash of water to a blender and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste and water for the right consistency.
- Now check on the vegetables and make sure they are soft (or a cook a little while longer) and we can start layering!
- Finally top with nutritional yeast and herbs and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 15 minutes and serve with some garlic bread and a drizzle of olive oil! Enjoy!!